Feeling the pressure of a six-day shorter Holiday shopping season than last year, retailers are opening their doors earlier than ever this year, some on Thanksgiving day, getting a jump on traditional Black Friday shopping with deals that start post-turkey at 8:00 pm or earlier.
Retailers getting a jump on Black Friday with Thanksgiving hours include:
- UPDATE: Walmart has announced that it will open its doors on Thanksgiving Day at 6:00 p.m. with a first wave of sales. A second wave of sales will begin on Thanksgiving night at 8:00 p.m., according to the retailer.
- Target has announced that it will open its doors at 8 p.m. on Thanksgiving night, and will be offering its Thanksgiving Day shoppers the traditional Black Friday deals both online and in stores.
- This year, Macy’s will open at 8 p.m. on Thursday as well, breaking a 155-year tradition of staying closed on Thanksgiving Day.
- K Mart will be setting a new standard as well by opening at 6 a.m. on Thanksgiving day. While this is the third straight year that the store will be open early Thanksgiving morning, the store will remain open for 41 straight hours and will close at 11 p.m. on Black Friday.
- Shopko, too, will offer early Thanksgiving Day hours and promotions, closing for a brief period during the day and re-opeining at 8 p.m. to catch the after-dinner crowd.
Other stores that have confirmed they will open their doors by 8:00 p.m., include:
- Kohl’s, which is touting its biggest Black Friday ever, with an 8:00 p.m Thanksgiving open. Eager shoppers can also shop Black Friday deals online as early as Tuesday, Nov. 26.
- Sears will open its Black Friday deals on Thanksgiving night at 8:00 p.m., with the store open through to 10 p.m. on Black Friday.
- JCPenney, too, will host a marathon Black Friday shopping opportunity, with doors opening on Thanksgiving night at 8:00 p.m. through 9:00 p.m. on Black Friday.
- Best Buy has announced that it will start Black Friday deals on Thanksgiving night at 6:00 p.m., running through 10:00 p.m. on Black Friday.
- Most recently, Office Depot has joined the Thanksgiving Day open, with hours from 8:00 p.m. until 11:00 p.m. on Thanksgiving, re-opening at 8:00 a.m. on Black Friday.