Census Bureau: June Retail Sales Inch Forward

The United States Census Bureau has announced that advance estimates of U.S. June retail and food services sales— adjusted for seasonal variation and holiday and trading-day differences but not for price changes— were $439.9 billion, an increase of 0.2% from May, and 4.3% from June 2013. Total sales for the April through June 2014 period were up 4.5% from the period a year earlier.

At the same time it announced June sales, the Census Bureau revised the April to May 2014 sales gains up from 0.3% to 0.5%.

Retail trade sales gained 0.3% from May 2014, and 4.1% from June, 2013. Nonstore retailer sales advanced 8.1% from June 2013 and health and personal care store sales increased 7.9% from the month last year.

Sales at General Merchandise Stores, including warehouse, discount and drug stores, advanced to $56.04 billion from $55.41 billion in May and $54.2 billion in June of last year.

Furniture and Furnishings stores sales slipped slightly in June from July, down $7 million, to $8.42 billion on an adjusted basis but advanced from $8.21 billion in last year’s month. Building Material & Garden Equipment & Supplies dealers suffered a decline from May to June, from $26.97 billion to $27.24 billion, although their sales advanced from $26.01 billion, from June 2013. Health & Personal Care stores, primarily drug stores, enjoyed a sales advance in June, from $24.75 billion in May to $24.96 billion and from $23.13 in June 2013.


Share.

Comments are closed.