Office Depot, Inc., the new entity formed in the merger of the previous Office Depot enterprise and OfficeMax, has announced the formation of its executive committee. The company also announced key appointments to the committee.
Among the executives chosen, according to Office Depot:
- Steve Schmidt, president, international. The position, which in time will be based in Europe, manages the company’s international businesses in that region as well as Asia, New Zealand, Australia and Mexico. Schmidt will not relocate, but will remain with Office Depot for up to a year leading the European transformation, growing the international business and directing the search for his successor.
- Steve Hare, executive vp and CFO. Hare oversees all financial aspects of the company, including financial planning, and accounting and control. He also manages treasury and investor relations as well as the internal audit and tax functions. In addition, he oversees information technology and the integration office.
- Michael Allison, executive vp and chief people officer. With global responsibility for all human resources functions, Allison oversees compensation and benefits, talent management, associate relations, organizational development & training, and diversity & inclusion. Also, the communications function reports to him.
- Elisa Garcia, executive vp and chief legal officer. Responsible for managing legal, regulatory, compliance and government affairs worldwide, Garcia also oversees loss prevention. In addition, she serves as the company’s general counsel and secretary.
Two positions on the executive committee have yet to be filled: chief strategy and innovation officer, and president, North America. Office Depot stated that it would begin an immediate search to fill the positions.
“Since I joined the company last month, my priorities have been to name a headquarters location and select a leadership team that incorporates the best talent from both companies and also adds fresh perspective from the outside,” said Roland Smith, chairman and CEO of Office Depot, Inc., in announcing the leadership initiatives. “Last week we named Boca Raton as our corporate headquarters. Today, I am sharing the company’s new organizational structure which focuses on accountability and streamlined decision making. I believe this approach provides the best foundation to execute the merger synergies and transformation strategy for long-term growth.”
In addition to the executive committee, Smith has created a newly formed leadership team, which incorporates members of that committee and executives who report to the president of North America and the CFO.
The leadership team, Office Depot stated, includes:
- Steve Calkins, executive vp/contract sales.
- Ron Lalla, executive vp/merchandising.
- Tim Rea, executive vp/marketing.
- Larry Hartley, senior vp/supply chain.
- Rob Koch, senior vp/real estate.
- Todd Hale, senior vp & global chief information officer.
- Deb O’Connor, senior vp/integration.
In addition, Juan Guerrero, currently senior vp/retail for legacy Office Depot, will hold a post on the leadership team and act as interim head of retail during an executive vp/retail search. Also, Mike Kirschner, currently senior vp/ e-commerce for legacy Office Depot, will act as interim head of e-commerce during a search for an executive vp/e-commerce.
“With the executive team nearing completion, we will now move quickly to select the best talent available from both legacy companies to build a world class organization focused on exceeding the expectations of consumers and businesses, becoming a more appealing partner to our vendors, and ultimately driving value for our shareholders,” Smith said.