If there is one overriding question on the lips of suppliers and retailers alike it’s, “What are consumers buying?”
Using insight compiled from Wayfair’s registry program along with general searches across its website, the online retailer has put together a list of top trends that could drive the registry decisions for couples soon-to-be-married or those building a list of products for the college student that will head off to campus in the fall.
|Registry Evolves Beyond Wedding, Baby To Capture Key Life Moments|
|College Registry Could Grow Housewares Opportunity|
|Pottery Barn Expands Registry For Modern Bride|
|Retailers Enhance Everyday Registry Experience|
“Our customers are continuously seeking ideas and inspiration for their housewares collections throughout the year,” said Ryan Gilchrist, general manager of housewares at Wayfair. “As we continuously expand our offering to deliver the best possible shopping experience for the home, we are also focused on creating an interactive hub for housewares brands by bringing products to life in new and innovative ways.”
Within registry, Wayfair has added several new features including the ability for shoppers to explore for ideas and advice in an effort to gain some additional inspiration. The newly launched gift tracker allows registrants to know when they have received a gift and allows them to download guest information that allows them to send “thank you” notes.
The top consumer trends, according to Wayfair:
- Healthy and Homemade: Wayfair customers continue to gravitate toward products and appliances that promote a healthy lifestyle. Juicers are more popular than ever with searches up 82% over 2018 as the celery juice trend has taken social media outlet Instagram by storm. Consumers are also experimenting with new and innovative cooking styles. In fact, air fryers and multi-functional appliances are quickly becoming a kitchen staple with searches up more than 30%.
- Restaurant Quality at Home: Consumers are looking for new ways to bring a more professional touch to their very own recipes. With searches for sous-vide slow cookers up 54% year over year, consumers are increasingly experimenting with techniques traditionally reserved for high-end restaurants at home.
- Wedding Bells Signal Pastels: KitchenAid mixers continue to be a wedding gift staple as the brand’s Artisan stand mixer tops the list as the product most registered for in the shade “Aqua Sky.” Pastel themes are also surfacing across other registries as couples embrace retro looks for new appliances. In addition, pastel tones such as blue, cream and green are also popular within the kitchen electrics segment.
- Homebrewed: Specialty drinks are brewing in today’s kitchens as shoppers seek machines that can serve their favorite caffeinated beverages without having to wait in line. Cold-brew searches are up 50% while searches for coffeemakers and espresso makers have more than doubled. Pour-over coffee makers are also more popular than ever with searches up 82%.
- Parties that Pop: Novelty products are stepping into the spotlight as consumers look for products that provide a fun focal point for guests when entertaining. Searches for popcorn machines alone have grown by 41% and items such as cotton candy machines and soft serve ice cream makers are also increasing in popularity.