Two projects shared top honors at the 2018 International Housewares Association’s 25th annual Student Design Competition.
The first prize went to Arizona State University graduate Lauren Emmerson from Bend, OR, and senior Anastasia Miller from Boston and their Domi Care At Home Pap Test. First place also went to Carleton University senior Ben Kaufmann from Ottawa, Canada, with his BIO Water Distiller.
First place winners get a $2,500 cash prize as well an all-expense paid trip to Chicago for the 2018 International Home + Housewares Show, March 10 to 13.
Second-place honors went to Andrew Ferrier, a Carleton University senior from Ottawa, Canada, for his Botany Child-Proof Cannabis Container; and to Chicago native Caleb Blankenbaker, a University of Illinois at Chicago junior, for his Arome Coffee Bean Roaster.
Third-place honors went to Cody Moore, a Savannah College of Art & Design graduate from Salisbury, MD, for Sift Filtration Systems; and to Brandon Rodriguez, a Cleveland Institute of Art senior from Cleveland, for the Novus Home Brewing Beer System.
Honorable Mentions went to:
- Steve Jean Aviton, Cleveland Institute of Art, Sula Food Defroster
- Brandon Rodriguez, Cleveland Institute of Art, Orbis Sustainable Air Circulator/Purifier
- Logan Gage, Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design, Twist Jar Opener
- Shahd Zubier, Rochester Institute of Technology, Arc Children’s Dinnerware
- Loren Chen, University of Notre Dame, Yuan Cookware
- Lindsey Meyers, University of Notre Dame, Stride Strep Throat Tester
- Jackson Howard, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, PLUNJ Vegetable Peeler