On June 29, West Elm will open its first Phoenix store in the revitalized Uptown Plaza shopping center.
The 11,000 square foot store will offer a curated assortment of local products highlighting Arizona-based makers and designers presented alongside West Elm’s fall assortment. Featured local producers include:
- Celine + Kate. Handmade pillows and linens manufactured with eco-friendly ink.
- Chase Warren Designs. Contemporary handcrafted furniture products.
- Citizen Home Decor. Handmade wood wall decor accessories.
- Lettercraft. Laser cut wood gifts and decor items.
- MB Art Studios. Screen-printed, Scandinavian-style ceramic pieces.
- Nanogram. Laser-engraved wood accessories pieces.
- Paige Poppe. Watercolor prints inspired by Arizona landscapes.
- Strange Birds Designs. Handcrafted greeting cards.
- Woven by Ro. Macramé hangings and planters.
- Zaaina. Beauty products formulated with natural ingredients.
Before a 2014 restoration, Uptown Plaza was a 1950s landmark destination. West Elm Phoenix pays homage to the area’s mid-century modern heritage by incorporating motifs from that era into the new store’s architectural details including a sculptural assemblage that decorates the back cash wrap with a cube-in-cube pattern made from locally sourced, weathered gray poplar reclaimed from rural fencing.
“In the late 1950s, Uptown Plaza stood as the harbinger of retail shopping centers, once heralded for offering customers the amenities and conveniences that were ahead of its time,” said Alex Bellos, West Elm president. “We are proud to be a part of the continued revitalization of this iconic mid-century modern shopping destination, and look forward to supporting Uptown Plaza’s celebration of small businesses, local artists and the North Central Phoenix community.”